Artwork by Jacob

Artwork by Jacob

Friday, September 30, 2016

French Fridays - Hachis Parmentier

It is officially Fall in the northern hemisphere and I have been craving foods that we associate with Fall. Despite the fact that we are expecting a heat wave in California, I thought it was safe to turn on the oven and make Hachis Parmentier the French version of Shepherd's pie from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.

This was a huge hit with my family. The meat was so tender from the 1 1/2 hours of simmer time prior to baking in the oven. My favorite part was the mashed potatoes topped with Gruyere and Parmesan.

Continuing with my Fall theme meal I made All-In-One Holiday Bundt Cake from Baking From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan. This was also a hit with the family and my mother-in-law asked for the recipe, always a good sign. This cake included pumpkin, apple, cranberries and pecans with spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. All flavors reminiscent of Thanksgiving.

Hachis Parmentier page 258.

All-In-One Holiday Bundt Cake page 187.

2 comments:

  1. TWO winners! I haven't made that Bundt cake but it sounds like the perfect autumn dessert!

    ReplyDelete