Artwork by Jacob

Artwork by Jacob

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Odile’s Fresh Orange Cake

This week on Tuesdays with Dorie we are making Odile's Fresh Orange Cake from Baking Chez Moi. Here is my experience with this week's recipe.

I was looking forward to this baking assignment, heck I voted for it, and the picture looked so pretty but apparently I have had troubles with directions lately. I reviewed the ingredients and I had everything except the fresh orange which I bought. What I didn't notice was the picture was the Bonne Idee that included poached oranges three more additional oranges which I didn't have. My day was jammed packed enough and an additional shopping trip and poaching oranges was not going to fit the plan.

I made the cake which was simple enough but some how I managed to mess that up too. I cooked it for 20 minutes and a toothpick came out clean so I took it out thinking it was done. When I removed the cake from the pan, it fell in the center. This picture does not do the damage justice. My husband said "what happened?" Clearly I should have baked it the additional 5 minutes. This is one of the bigger flops I have made lately and I should re-do it to redeem myself but that is not in the plan.

To see something that was baked correctly go here.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure your cake tasted great! It's a good thing this wasn't a more complicated cake to make! My cake flopped, too, but I didn't mind too much since this cake didn't take as much time to make as something like a buche de noel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cut the cake and eat it. It makes no difference that there is a crack. Happy baking, that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly looks pretty and I'm sure it tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have certainly had my fair share of baking oopses lately. I totally empathize! Hope it at least tasted good! (PS I missed the part about the poaching orange quantity too.. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have certainly had my fair share of baking oopses lately. I totally empathize! Hope it at least tasted good! (PS I missed the part about the poaching orange quantity too.. )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your cake looks pretty good Diane - a little hollow will not detract from the taste. I didn't do the poached oranges deliberately - I take my baked goods to work, and I couldn't imagine how I was going to get this cake to work with poached oranges on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually am guessing that the oranges on top of our were covering many a sunken top lol ! I actually had to read the directions a couple of times to confirm that we were only baking this for 20 minutes. I thought that sounded really fast. Since I was using that narrow braided pan I pulled it out at 20 (mine was like a big Twinkie in shape) thinking it had to cook faster than a full round pan. The center was still a bit undone, especially as we got closer to the middle. But by the time we have all that syrup added it was all just kind of a big moist situation. In a good way. Funny how this was to be a "simple" recipe but so many of us ended up re-reading the direction multiple times (I lost the part about where to add the juice and was getting a bit frustrated LOL). Great job and another one down !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I baked mine for a bit longer than 20 minutes (even in my minified pans) but yes, that's the awesome thing about the poached fruit - it can hide a multitude of sins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like as long as a cake tastes great, it really isn't a baking flop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all about the taste and I'm sure your cake was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so many days like this Diane! It's great to hear I'm not the only one :)
    It does look good in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, if you hadn't mentioned the falling the centre, I would never have known. It looks so fluffy and so perfectly turned out. (And I rarely read the instructions perfectly either, because who has time for instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's frustrating when a cake doesn't turn out - but, as long as it tastes good, I count it as a win.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As long as it tastes good it is a success :)

    ReplyDelete