Artwork by Jacob

Artwork by Jacob

Friday, June 5, 2015

Celebration Week #2: The Never-Doubt-Dorie Moment

In our second week of celebration moments with French Fridays with Dorie we are contemplating which recipe was a "never doubt Dorie moment".  Here were the instructions: "Choose the recipe that might not have been your favorite or even something you enjoyed making or even something you were skeptical about but which taught you a technique or gave you an idea or provided a lesson of some kind". Honestly every recipe taught me something but one recipe was a stand out for me, Storzapretis (corsican spinach and marjoram gnocchi).




Storzapretis are like cheese gnocchi and I had never made gnocchi before.  I did not know what quenelle was so I did a Youtube search for tutorials.  I also found someone who had made the dish and blogged about it so I could get some ideas.  This recipe taught me so many new techniques.  It was very tasty and enjoyed by all.  Honorable mentions were osso buco and duck. Which reminds me, I should make duck with fresh peaches now that they are in season.

To see what others thought go here.

14 comments:

  1. Great choice, storzapretis could have easily landed on my list as well.

    I have also been keeping an eye out for peaches so that I can repeat the duck recipe. Just a little early for them here, maybe in another month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of storzapretis and they were a lovely surprise. We have to wait until later in summer for peaches, but I have my eye on that duck recipe when they come into the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, these were really good! Some of mine didn't stay together, but I had no problem eating those! Wonderful choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the storzapretis, even though they tested my patience! Very tasty pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were patient with those gnocchi like things that made me crazy. Mine were a disaster and I didn't bother to make lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, nice choice and a great reminder to be making these lovely Storzapreti again soon!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this one was a learning curve, but so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Storzapreti never worked out quite as well as some people but I would be willing to have another go at it for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad your storzapretis came out well. I thought they were one of the more challenging recipes. Thanks for the reminder about duck with peaches. Definitely a must-make this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a recipe that I didn't find time for. They really looked delicious when I saw how they turned out for others. I really need to find time to try them! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a recipe I truly enjoyed. A little tricky, but so delicious. Yours look
    wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this one as well. It was a little hard to work with but worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never heard of this one either. I'd made gnocchi, but the potato kind, not the cheese kind. It was a fun project, right? It looks like you mastered the technique.

    You do need to make the duck. It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete