Artwork by Jacob

Artwork by Jacob

Friday, May 8, 2015

Almond Flounder Meuniere

This week the group is making Seafood Pot-Au-Feu (page 308) for French Fridays with Dorie. Since I do not like mussels and my husband does not like sea scallops we decided to make something else.  My husband picked Almond Flounder Meuniere (page 290).  I was not able to get flounder at my local market so I bought rainbow trout instead.

The trout is brushed with egg yolk.

Then dipped into a mixture of ground almonds, flour, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
The fillets are cooked in a skillet with butter until done.  My handy husband was the chef for this dish.
We garnished the fish with almonds and served with rice and sauted spinach.  This was deemed restaurant worthy food.  It is the first time I have eaten a whole piece of trout.  I always seem to order or eat other fish but this was quite good.  Trout is one of my husband's favorite fish so he was really happy.  I think we will be making this one again.
These recipes are part of an international cooking group working our way through Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.  Next week is Food Revolution day and then our final recipe.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, trout sounds really good right about now. If only I could get trout for lunch today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I loved this dish too. I get so excited when my meals look like something I've had in a restaurant. It's the little things in life:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fiah looks fabulous. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, this was a winner. Now that I've gotten Bill to eat halibut, I bet he'd do OK with this sans the almonds. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely scrumptious meal! Next on my catch up list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely scrumptious meal! Next on my catch up list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trout is my husband's favorite too, and I'm always looking for more ways to prepare it. i'm so glad to know that this recipe worked with trout! Lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great recipe to try with trout, I think. Being a Colorado girl, I like trout also but it does need to be flavored. Usually I stuff it with fresh herbs before throwing it on the grill but using this recipe is a great idea especially since we are not allowed to have outdoor grills at The Gant (I don't think I would burn down the complex but you never know). And, the sides certainly work. Nice job by one of the men in the house. Happy Mother's Day, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that looks really delicious. I love the sides of rice and spinach with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the meuniere…great choice! It looks delicious! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dish, absolutely restaurant impressive, so glad you enjoyed it. Much for exciting dish than this week's pot-au-feu.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fantastic, Diane! I think this was one of my favorite dishes in the book and so easy to make. I've actually never seen flounder here...I've seen sole, though. hmmm, I wonder if it's an east coast fish? In any case, glad you all liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane, I do remember this recipe quite well -we loved, loved it and yours (your husbands) version with the trout looks absolutely wonderful. SO nic eto see that you enjoyed your make-up this week to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trout is one of my favorite fishes too. And this is one of my favorite recipes in the book. I've made it many times. In fact, I have some fish in the freezer that is destined to be served in this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember liking this one. Great choice for a make up!

    ReplyDelete