Artwork by Jacob

Artwork by Jacob

Friday, December 5, 2014

Speculoos

Today on French Fridays with Dorie, the group is making Tartine de Viande des Grisons which is an air-dried beef open sandwich.  I did not have time to find this specialty item so I made Speculoos (page 406) instead.  These cookies seasoned with cinnamon, ginger and cloves seemed great for the season.
The dough is divided in half and rolled out between two sheets of wax paper.  A technique I learned from this cookbook that I had not done before.
The dough is chilled for a least 3 hours and then cut into any shape you want. 
I thought this was a great cookie.  My husband said this is what a gingerbread cookie should taste like.  My son said they were plain, no chocolate or frosting.  Well if that is how you judge cookies then yes they were plain:)
We went hiking over the holiday weekend and enjoyed the fall weather.  We went to Mount Pinos in Frazier National Park in California.

These recipes are part of an international cooking group working our way through Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.  To see what others did go here

13 comments:

  1. Diane, I've not made the Speculoos yet, but I think I may have too what with your post here! Great photo of your hike, too! We stayed up there for a weekend at Pine Mountain Club recently. It was our first visit, but it's nice to have some nice tall pine trees and more alpine scenery (I grew up in the mountains) so close to home. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first tried the speculoos, I wasn't that crazy about them. Or so I wrote. I was so wrong! They are delicious and special. Your cutters look a lot like the ones I used when I posted this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you the hike in Fall weather. We are hiking in snow here in Colorado. Not complaining, it's how we make a living. I haven't made the speculoos but your husband's rec is good enough for me. Hopefully I'll get these made for the holidays. Thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make these in the next week or two - they've become a tradition, now. So glad they were a hit for you, too (even if they were plain).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speculoos are some of the most famous cookies around here and I consider them to be among my very favorite of all times - I always make them and I appreciate their lovely simplicity - yours look wonderful, nice color and very pretty cookie cutter!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family enjoyed these but I'm not a crunchy cookie or gingerbread fan. I love your cut out.. very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are one of my favorites, though I only made them once, when they were on the French Fridays schedule. I'm glad you made them now so I can remember to add them to this year's holiday lineup! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are good, I remember when we made them I thought they were delicious.
    Yours look so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recall being surprised by how much I liked these cookies. I think that I went into them with your son's opinion, that they looked a little plain. But they tasted great and very Christmasy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your speculoos look terrific - a good choice as a make-up recipe for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, your speculoos look absolutely perfect! They have become a tradition in my house at Christmas! In fact, I always make up an extra batch of dough for Christmas eve so that my grandchildren can make their gingerbread house with their mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved these - and this is a good reminder to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) Love the hiking picture
    2) Those speculoos were delicious (and yours look perfect). I had forgotten about them as well.

    ReplyDelete