Artwork by Jacob

Artwork by Jacob

Friday, May 2, 2014

Tuna Rillettes

French Fridays with Dorie



I missed the part of the directions that said "albacore tuna is too firm and dry".  All I had in my house was albacore tuna in water.  The texture seemed grainy and I am guessing that an oil based tuna would have been better.  I added more creme fraiche to compensate for the lack of fat and I think it helped but not enough.  There is something about this recipe that does not sit right for me.  I am not sure if it is the sharpness of the shallot (maybe I used too much) or the curry powder.  Normally I like all these ingredients but maybe not together in this recipe.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry this was not a winner for you. My hubby and I both enjoyed it…however I did use tuna packed in oil and just a pinch of curry. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same tuna and it didn't seem dry to me? I only used regular heavy cream.. sorry wasn't a go for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this one wasn't a hit for you. I forgot to add to my post that I only had tuna packed in water, so I added a teaspoon or two of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thought of olive oil. Great suggestion.

      Delete
  4. I definitely enjoyed this, but my standard tuna salad with mayo can't be beat :) Sorry this was a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry it was not to your liking. Can't love 'em all though. I liked it.. I wonder if adding actual oil would have helped with the tuna? I used tuna in water but the chunk kind. I added 1 T of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sautéed the onion before I blend it with the tuna because my stomach cannot handle raw onion. But I did like the taste of the tuna with the curry - even thought I had my doubts before I made it. Sorry you didn't like it :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this wasn't a favorite, Diane. We can't like every single recipe though so I'd say just look forward to something new next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I avoided albacore tuna when shopping and managed tuna chunks in sunflower oil. Now the tip on adding some olive oil if your tuna comes in water is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you. Not great. But it was an easy "not great", so that part was good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you didn't like, but they can't all be winners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry this wasn't a hit for you. Hopefully, next week's recipe works better for you :-)

    ReplyDelete